Opened from the Wey Navigation to Basingstoke in 1796 with 37 miles of cut and 29 locks, of which 28 are in Surrey. The drawing shows Curzon Bridge and one of the flight of 14 locks at Deepcut. Through the efforts of the Surrey & Hampshire Canal Society and of the two County Councils, which took over the derelict canal in 1973, restoration was completed in 1991 as far as Greywell Tunnel (5.5 miles from Basingstoke). The John Pinkerton trip boat operates in summer. There is free access to the towpath. (TQ 055 620 to SU 718 514).
© 1989 SIHG