Guildford Treadwheel Crane
The Wey Navigation was opened in 1653 and the crane which stands on the redeveloped riverside at Guildford probably dates from the late 17th century. It was used to load and unload barges at the former wharf, close to its present position, and was worked by men walking inside the 18 foot diameter wheel. Access to exterior at any time (SU 994 494).
© 1990 SIHG